My First Flight

Good morning and welcome back onboard Crewfie101. Today I’m heading home back to Edinburgh after one of the toughest weekends for myself and the company in a very long time. As the UK experienced a massive cold front, the airport struggled to cope with the de-icing required which left hundreds of cancellations including my commuting flights from both Aberdeen and Edinburgh. Not an overly enjoyable weekend which ended up with me doing absolutely no flying and just a lot of driving.. Anyhow.. Rant Over.

I thought today I would tell the story of Day 1, Flight 1. My first day as active Cabin Crew. I received my Wings on the 4th of August and after a celebratory dinner with friends from Training, I was due to operate the very next day. I was very lucky in that I had an afternoon report meaning that I had all morning to get myself prepared and also get nervous.. I had a brief lie in followed by a nice “healthy” breakfast of a bowl of cornflakes and a hot chocolate, whilst looking over my notes on the Airbus A319. My report was around 2pm so at 11am, I started to prepare my uniform and myself for the day ahead. I packed a night-stop kit, so fresh underwear and uniform, just in case we had to stay over for any particular reason and and made sure that by 12pm I was ready to go. I hopped on the bus to the airport feeling both nervous and excited. I also felt a sense of pride, a sense I still feel today whenever I put on the uniform, given the fact it had taken a lot of blood, sweat and tears to gain those wings.

So I arrived at the CRC (Crew Report Centre) in Terminal 5 with around 90 minutes before I was due to start briefing. This gave me enough time to catch up with a few of my course mates before they headed off on their inaugural flights, I say catch up, we only left training the day before.. We had coffee and chatted and one by one we headed off to the briefings.

My briefing was in Room 13, Unlucky..? I went in and 2 of the 4 crew were in there already, we just had to wait for the CSM (Customer Service Manager). A minute or two later the CSM walked in and the briefing started. This was the bit of the day I was most nervous about, would I remember all my training.. I did, it was a very chilled briefing and I was assigned position number 4 working alongside the CSM in our Business Class Cabin. I probably should mention where I went. I was operating the BA747 and BA746 to Stavanger, Norway then back to London Heathrow. We departed off Gate A1 (Perfect for Flight No1). My first aircraft was an Airbus A319, G-EUPW. The Aircraft was slightly delayed coming in from Inverness so we waited at the gate for it to arrive and as soon as it did, we got on, checked the aircraft and I welcomed my first passengers on-board. I did my first safety demonstration, pointing out the exits as I went. At my company on your first flight, you get to sit in the flight deck with the pilots for a take off and a landing, just to get that experience. So I sat in for the Take Off and Landing in and out of Heathrow. It was incredible. I could have stayed in there all flight! But I had thirteen hungry business class passengers to feed. I popped my service Gillet on and headed out into the cabin on the bar, and served my first customers. I didn’t spill anything, happy days! Time absolutely flew by, if you’ll excuse the pun and before I knew it we were securing the cabin for our arrival into Stavanger. I checked that all the tray tables were up, seatbelts were fastened and bags were safely put away. We landed in pretty hefty crosswinds and pulled onto stand. I opened an aircraft door for the first time and said hello to our Norwegian colleagues. We had a brief turnaround and headed for home on the BA746. I had to finish off the Business service on my own as the CSM had to deal with something in the economy cabin. I finished up and ate my first ever crew meal, Beef and Broccoli in Oyster Sauce. It’s still my favourite to this day. For the approach back into London’s Heathrow, I was once again in the flight deck and it was fascinating. We flew over the city of London at dusk, just as it was starting to light up. We landed into Heathrow and disembarked on a remote stand, meaning we had to get a crew bus back to the main terminal.

I had done it. 6 Weeks of hard work had totally paid off. I was so proud of myself for doing it. I arrived back at the house I was staying in and my housemates were all there with Prosecco and we had a little celebration! The perfect way to end a perfect day.

Well that’s the story of my first ever flight as international Cabin Crew. I hope you enjoy reading it. There will be another post at some point in the next couple of days.

Thanks for flying Crewfie101 and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s